Thursday 30 July 2015

Para Pan American Games

In just over a weeks time the Para PanAm Games start.  It brings together some of the world's best athletes, all with a variety of "disabilities" that to many able body people would see as a handicap, these athletes are exceptional.  I have had the pleasure of photographing both Summer and Winter sports, and believe me, they aren't handicapped.  They face challenges everyday and when they compete, there are no challenges, just athletes.

The biggest problem they face is recognition, not by each other, but by their own countries media.  Once the "Big Show" ends, in this case the Pan Am Games, everything is scaled back, venues close down, transportation changes and media/tv coverage is cut.  It's an insult.

I head to Toronto next week and will be updating my blog with my observations.


No comments:

Post a Comment